Production Engineer - Outdoor Industry
Ready for a career in the outdoor industry, where your work and passions come together each day? GRAYL is a small but mighty team, growing quickly, and committed to building and distributing the best water purifiers for global outdoor adventurers, travelers, campers, and bushcraft/survivalists.
Our Production Engineer ensures that every product we make is amazing and performs up to the high standards and rigors we promise our customers. They engineer new products, starting with new designs through final production and oversee quality assurance for all products we produce. Our ideal candidate has expertise in advanced manufacturing techniques, (3D printing, machining, injection molding, etc.) and possesses a passion for the fine details that separate good from great.
What We Offer
An opportunity to be a part of a growing company in the outdoor industry which provides: flexible work schedule in a casual environment, competitive base salary, medical/dental insurance, cell phone and public transit stipends, discounts on outdoor and travel gear, stock options and an opportunity for an annual performance bonus.
- Communications across time zones and cultures: Establish and maintain strong relationships with GRAYL's trusted and valued manufacturing partners overseas, to deliver new products for our growing line of personal water purifiers.
- Cross cultural and language communication skills a must
- Management of production across timezones and oceans
- Passion for Product: Motivated to help build cutting-edge products and new technologies, and for the finer details to go from good to great.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with a diverse team of product developers, sales, and logistics
- Quality Assurance: Oversee all elements of tooling, including but not limited to:
- Work with manufacturing partners to deliver, optimize and manage CAD drawings and QA plans before tooling begins
- Manage and budget for every aspect of pre-production and tooling
- Manage CAD files for pre-tooling, tooling, and production
- Hands-on Analysis: Perform in-depth analysis of 3D prints, pre-production prototypes and production run samples.
- Organization: Maintain highly organized files of all CAD Files, QA and budget documents. Manage Supply Chain Map, materials compliance, regulations, etc
- Project Management: Expertly utilize project management to track and schedule work to complete on time and within budget. Communicate timelines and milestones with GRAYL sales, brand and marketing.
- Travel: Domestic and international travel required (when Covid permits, not before).
Quality Assurance Management
- Lead effort which strives for nothing less than 100% perfect product.
- Develop strong relationships with GRAYL Product Dev group, sourcing partners and third-party labs to manage Quality Assurance of every product that GRAYL manufactures.
- Improve existing QA/QC program, product tolerances and Inspection Checklist for all products.
- Collaborate with contractors to manage in-factory QA and third party testing.
- Analyze results of all tests, following protocols for pass/fail/retest in order to ensure all products meet established standards prior to leaving the factory.
- Work with key partners on non-conformance reports and root cause analysis.
- Help design and implement corrective actions to address critical flaw or process issues and return to quality production.
- Other duties and activities as assigned, this job description is not to be considered all-inclusive.
- Special projects focused around improved customer retention and experience.
- Participate in regular one-on-one, staff, and training meetings as scheduled.
- Teamwork. Be trustworthy. Treat others with respect. Help others learn and grow.
- Communication. Be timely and concise in relaying information. Be aware of different communication styles and adapt for greater understanding.
- Change. Be nimble, never cynical. Embrace technology, challenges, and change.
- Judgment. Say and do the right thing. Include the right people in the right conversations.
- Time management. Use time wisely and efficiently.
- Self-review. Always look for ways to grow and improve.
- Innovation. Continually review systems and processes for better ways to reach goals.
Ideal Qualifications & Requirements
- Proven experience (5+ years) ushering new products from concept to overseas production to market.
- Proven success (5+ years) managing quality assurance in US and international facilities.
- Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent experience.
- Optimistic spirit, strong work ethic and professional demeanor.
- Ability to clearly, concisely and accurately communicate technical product issues in both written and verbal form with suppliers on three continents.
- Strong analytical and technical mechanical engineering skills, including experience with CAD software (Solidworks and/or Creo/Pro/E).
- Proven success working in project management software.
- Love for learning new technologies and techniques, especially concerning water treatment, materials science and advanced manufacturing.
- Passion for creating highest quality consumer goods.
- Must be self-directed, action-oriented, mature, team player, confident, decisive, creative problem solver always willing to think outside the box. Must be persistent – does not take 'no' for an answer and eager to search out solutions to the challenge at hand.
- Comprehensive understanding of manufacturing techniques such as: machining, plastic injection molding, overmolding, pressure forming, etc. Experience with quality systems, lean manufacturing techniques, sourcing and vendor qualification, product design, cost management, MRP and global logistics is desired.
- Value working in a team environment and strive to contribute to the team's success. Understands and respects the unique roles that each member plays.
- Passion for gear and for participation in the core GRAYL user experiences: backcountry camping, bushcraft/survival and/or international adventure travel.
- Ability to travel within the USA and overseas.
- A quiet remote workplace to focus.
- Must live in a location that can leverage an existing high-speed internet service.
- Be willing to work flex and off hours.
- Prefer but don’t require candidates that live near Seattle, WA or Portland OR office locations and be able to commute to and from office locations as needed.
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to work on a computer, tablet, and phone up to 10 hours per day.
Seattle-based GRAYL® makes innovative water purifiers for international travelers and outdoor explorers so their adventures can be safe, self-reliant and awe inspiring. Since 2016 GRAYL purifiers have hydrated more than a million adventures. GRAYL believes the greatest moments of life occur when one travels beyond their comfort zone, takes risks, builds connections with different cultures and returns a global citizen. GRAYL is distributed world-wide and is a member of 1% for the Planet® contributing a portion of every sale to non-profit organizations that protect and preserve the natural environment.
How to apply
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Include in your subject line: Production Engineer and your name.